Suburban Family Insurance Agency — Fire Prevention page
Fire Prevention and Safety in El Dorado Hills, CA
According to the National Park Service, roughly 90 percent of wildfires in the United States are caused by people. However, there are ways to prevent these frequent blazes, and it’s important to take the proper steps.
At Suburban Family Insurance Agency, we strive to provide individuals in El Dorado Hills, Folsom, Granite Bay, Roseville, and surrounding areas in California with ways to avert wildfires. Accidents can always happen, but these tips are a great way to prevent any damaging wildfires from starting in the first place.
Proper Methods for Fire Prevention Throughout California
Whether it’s the proper use of equipment and vehicles, or the correct way to have a neighborhood campfire, there are plenty of actions you can take to prevent wildland fires. Preparation is key, and it’s a good idea to take the necessary steps in learning how to prevent some of the top causes for wildfires.
Here are some tips to assist in the prevention of wildfires, provided by the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE):
· If you live in a wildland area, equipment needs to be used responsibly. Do not mow your lawn in windy or excessively dry conditions, and be sure to give 10 feet of clearance to grinding and/or welding operations.
· Certain parts of the state allow residential landscape debris burning of dead vegetation, but the proper methods need to be taken. Homeowners need to check with their local fire station and air quality management agency before burning, and no debris piles should exceed 4 feet by 4 feet.
· When it comes to operating your vehicle, be sure to secure all chains and dragging parts, check your tire pressure, and properly maintain brakes.
· If you plan to regularly build campfires, be sure to obtain a campfire permit from any CAL FIRE, U.S. Forest Service, or BLM station or office. Never, under any circumstances, leave a fire unattended.
· If you are someone who does the occasional target shooting, remember to place targets on dirt or gravel, use safe targets (paper targets or clay pigeons), use proper ammunition, and bring a shovel or fire extinguisher.
CAL FIRE is dedicated to fire protection and prevention to the millions of acres of California wildlands. The department’s Fire Prevention Program consists of multiple activities including wildland fire engineering, vegetation management, fire planning and risk analysis, education and law enforcement, and land use planning.
Additionally, area residents should sign up for the El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office alert notification system. This allows the county to contact individuals in the event of an emergency, such as a wildfire.
For additional information, please contact our agency at your convenience.
- August 2018 Fire Safety and Prevention Newsletter
- Fire Prevention Program by CAL FIRE
- National Park Service Fire and Aviation Management (NPS)
- Insurance Buyer’s Guides (The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC))
- Small Business Insurance Details and Resources (The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA))